It was another afternoon at the ocean. After watching the oldest 4 out in the waves for hours, I decided it was my turn to play with them while one of them watched X. The waves along this stretch of the Atlantic are pretty big. The kids showed me how to wait for a big wave, start swimming ahead of it and then let it carry you. My very first attempt was insane! When the wave crashes on shore, it literally crashes. Your entire body is smashed onto the sandy shore full of sharp shells. It's absolutely exhilarating! At this first attempt, I found myself on the shore, completely out of breath and feeling quite unladylike, especially for an old mom. But the waves don't wait for you to recover. The next wave took me off of my tummy and threw me cart wheel style five more feet inland. I sat up quickly this time, my suit all in disarray, hair everywhere, sand and shells plastered to me, and looked up. I saw St. Michael the Archangel. And I heard a voice: "Can I help you?!" After a moment, I saw a young Latino man looking down at me with amused concern. He had a large tattoo of St. Michael on his arm. I said, "Oh St. Michael! That's just who I need!"
He laughed and later said it was really Raphael who "helps him get big-time money." I had some rearranging to do so I didn't argue. But it was St. Michael!
No comments:
Post a Comment