Thursday, June 14, 2012

I scream for Ice Cream!


We have arrived! The real journey has just begun. Boy, what a day to get here!

After leaving our much nicer hotel (+ pool) we drove through the beautiful green hills of Pennsylvania. Up, down, left, right, we dodged trucks and construction and finally entered NJ. After suffering traffic we arrived at....SAM's Club! Hooray for bulk food! Little did we know SAM's turned out to be a nightmare near the end.
T and Soph wanted their famous berry sundaes, only 1.25 each. However, after buying a ticket for 2, the server lady informed them they were out of berries, and could only offer mere vanilla ice cream for .99 instead. The girls moped but eventually agreed, and the lady said in order to get their $.60 refunded, they needed to bring the receipt over to another woman across the store.

 So we walked cautiously away, but this lady needed the item number of the ice cream, even though I already told her it was $.99 each for an ice cream, and all we needed was our $.60 back. Alas, we had to get the item number, discovered we also needed Mom's membership card, (???) and then when we had amply complained that Mom left for the car already, the lady simply looked up our name and number.

Finally, we received our $.60 refund, dashed back to the counter for our two $.99 vanillas, and were astonished to discover: the ice cream was gone! None, zero, zip! No chocolate, no vanilla, nothing. The server lady mumbled an apology and skittered to storage to fix our hurt, affronted faces.

Unfortunately, there was nothing she could do: Mom was beckoning across the store for us to hurry up and miss NJ traffic. The girls turned and ran off in dejection. I, fuming, told the lady we were leaving.

"Are you coming back often?"

No, we live 36 minutes away in NY.

"You can't come back?

NO.

"Here, give me your receipt, I'll help, I'll contact you, sorry, sorry."

Yes, nothing will fix the heart deprived of ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. It happens. I was in Jack-in-the-Box in Susanville this morning, and the next customer ordered something and paid for it. The girl came back a minute later and said, "I'm sorry, the rice isn't cooked yet. I'm really sorry. Would you like your money back?" I didn't stay to see the denouement. I think he was looking over the menu to find something else.

    ReplyDelete